Getting personal belongings into that new residence can be an extreme relief, but don’t rest just yet. New residents have 30 days to change their driver license to the new state. If you do not have the necessary paperwork, this may not be a quick and easy task at most Department of Motor Vehicles, Drivers License Division.
Usually to operate a vehicle using a regular operator’s license, you will need to present this paperwork:
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship Or Lawful Permanent Resident
- Proof of Temporary Legal Presence
- Primary Proof Of IdentityCertified
- Secondary Proof of Identity
- Proof of Any Name Changes If Different Than Primary ID
- Two Proofs of Tennessee Residency with Your Name and Resident Address (Current)NO P.O. BOXES - Utility bills, Vehicle Registration/title, Bank Statement, LES Statement, etc.
- Social Security Number
These ARE required for Tennessee. Drivers license and Tennessee Identification Cards. I you are transferring a CDL, INCLUDE A CURRENT MEDICAL CARD.
If moving into another new state, most of these requirements apply. Check with you state for full requirement. How much information is too much information?